Monday 4 May 2015

In the end, it doesn't even matter...

... that I completely and utterly neglected this blog when things got busy. At least I hope it doesn't! I did get a few messages asking if I was okay, and if the marathon was still on. Let me assure you - IT WAS ON!!!


Flat Eva.
My training was a bit of a mixed bag, with IT band issues that put me out of action for two weeks, and some very dodgy training runs – including one where I got stitches before I even started running. But I figured I could probably finish it, and just went ahead and did the thing you’re not supposed to do for your first marathon: I set myself a time goal of five hours – mostly because I really didn’t want to be out there any longer than that!

I hadn’t really thought about nutrition for the marathon. During my 20-miler (the longest training run), I did a 10-mi loop that ended at my local Tesco, picked up some chocolate milk and watermelon, and did the same again. Not really an option on race day, was it! Luckily, my friend Irene (who I met at Julie’s 10-mi training day in Hyde Park – recommended!!!) took me under her wings and hooked me up with some gels at the Expo. To practice, I had one on an empty stomach the Friday before the race and figured I’d be okay. My year studying in Ireland meant that I was well acquainted with Lucozade – the Irish students’ hangover drink of choice – so I was confident it would keep me going, as it was handed out on the course.

We did manage to make a rather fabulous hat, though!
My friend Katharina came all the way from Germany to cheer me on, and to provide moral support. We used to share a room in boarding school, and that’s a kind of bond that is really difficult to explain to someone who hasn’t been through that experience. She knows me in a way I don’t think many people do, and it was a real treat to have her there. We spent all day Saturday trying to pull together a sewing project, but I was so harebrained that I don’t think I contributed much, other than cutting out the wrong pieces and losing the pattern. But I wasn’t nervous about the marathon, no way!

Sunday morning I did some groin stretches in the bathtub (don’t!), a little bit of yoga, had a breakfast of rice, salami and hummus, and off I was to meet Julie. My bus was late and I was so focussed on making it to the platform that I managed to miss her. If you’ve seen Julie, you’ll know that’s quite hard to do! I jumped on the train and texted her – she was still at the station! So in true IT Crowd fashion, I got off and on again, and we managed to get to the Bandstand in Greenwich Park just in time for the BBC interview. My main contribution to the piece was emphatic nodding, and having watched the footage, I think I’m a rather excellent nodder. I was dead proud of the girls talking all kinds of sense, and proud to be a part of the campaign. Seeing how many people started following the blog and joined the Clubhouse after seeing Julie on TV was amazing!
 
Off we went to the loo, then to the pen – and of course, I immediately needed to go again! I wasn’t really worried about the distance at that point, I was worried about having to go every 10 minutes and taking all day to finish. I ducked out and went to the female urinals. While I will spare you the details, let’s just say it may be taking emancipation that little step too far. No queue, though!
Luckily, I’m sneaky and managed to catch up with the girls before we crossed the start line. I was raring to go, and quite possibly a little bit annoying as I was jumping up and down with excitement. Just think about it, all those miles we’d get to run!

 Of course I had completely ignored the advice not to try anything new on race day, and had a new bra, new capris, new hat, new headphones and a new music player. When we set off, I tried turning on my music, but it wouldn’t play! PANIC! We had agreed to run the first mile together, but I fell behind as I fiddled with the technology. Let’s just say that re-pairing a Bluetooth device is not that easy if you’re also trying to stay on pace. Luckily, it somehow sorted itself, and I could focus on my breathing, fighting off stitches already. 

I caught up with the others just before the mile marker and decided to keep going as I was feeling groovy. The first few miles flew by, as again I ignored the advice I was given (don’t go out too fast, don’t waste energy overtaking people etc. etc.!). None of that applied to me, I was feeling mega strong and already visualising not only making my 5-hour target, but beating it!

Sarah caught up with me to say hi on a roundabout, which is just so cool when you think about it. Running on a roundabout!!! Some time around mile 8 (I think), somewhere in Wapping I spotted my partner in his motorcycle get-up. He had promised to be there but I didn’t know where he would be. It turned out that I saw him first because he was checking his phone, and he got quite the shock when I sprinted (at that point, I was still able to do that) up to him, and basically jumped him to give him a big old kiss. Then I nearly fell into a puddle! I was on my way again before he could react, because I had a time goal to beat! Later he told me that the bystanders asked him if he even knew “that person” who gave him “the kiss of a lifetime”. Great marathon moment right there (and we have it on video!).

I saw him again before Tower Bridge but only waved at him because by mile 8, my quads had started to seize up. Given that I was on pace, I didn’t want to stop and stretch. It was amazing running across Tower Bridge, it’s another one of those things that are hard to describe. I recommend doing the marathon just for that feeling. 

Another sprint to hit my time goal for the half way mark. By that point, according to my watch I had spent an additional half mile dodging walkers and rhinos, and I was getting quite annoyed. I did make it in under 2:30, quite a big PB for me, but I was knackered. The problem was, I had spotted the 5hr pacer, but I couldn’t get to him. Time for some soul searching. Why was I actually doing this? I was so stuck on the time goal that I was forgetting my “why”. I wanted to do something positive for myself, to get my body strong enough to do this thing without hurting myself, and I wanted to do this to honour my grandfather’s memory. Because he always believed that I could do whatever I set my mind to. And I wanted to do it for all those women out there who were told they couldn’t do it (yes, you can!!!). And I thought, I’m running the London marathon, and I’m not actually enjoying myself. How crazy is that??? So I let go of the time goal, settled into my pace, and stretched when I needed to. 

From that point on, I had an amazing time. I high-fived every available child, had the gummies and jellies, danced to “I’m all about that bass” in a tunnel I usually commute in (crossing the double white lines SEVERAL times, because, yeah!) and just enjoying the positivity coming from the crowds. At 16.5 miles I scared the Mile End ParkRun crew a little bit when I sprinted at them – it was so great to see them! My partner popped up again and I handed him my hat (and snogged him thoroughly, because I now had time for that kind of thing). 

Katharina was at 35km with a much needed chocolate milkshake. By that point, I had to walk occasionally to relax my quads, but knowing that the Clubhouse ladies would be at mile 25 made me want to look strong. Also, the crowds wouldn’t really let you walk! If you moved to the side to walk, they would shout “Come on, Eva!”, relentlessly. I was also very aware of my shirt. After all, I follow the fat girl’s guide to running, not walking! In the end, I didn’t spot the Clubhouse peeps, but I hope they saw me keeping it up for them.

Very heavy metdal.
The last mile felt really really long, but I managed to pick up the pace that little bit for a strong finish. I met up with Katharina and we headed to the pub to catch up with the other "Ronners" and our charity. They fed us, gave us beer, and we got to meet some of the athletes currently receiving scholarships from the Ron Pickering Memorial Fund. The future of athletics sure seems in good hands!

I didn't cry when I crossed the finish line, I still haven’t really, not because I wasn't moved. The thing is, I feel a little bit guilty about the whole thing because I really enjoyed myself. I feel bad about asking people for donations so I can do my favourite thing – running! Although I feel better about that now, having met the scholarship recipients. Sophie Papps wrote a very nice blog post thanking us - you're so very welcome!! So, a big old "thank you" to everyone who donated or bought my silly headbands! You made this possible, and it was fabulous having you along for the ride.

My partner asked me what I was thinking about the whole time, but I seriously can’t remember. I was in the moment, and it was awesome. The support from the crowds was overwhelming. Several times, I got all choked up because I thought about all those people, sitting in traffic because the roads were closed for us, or spending their Sunday out there, cheering for us and giving us jelly babies! If possible, it made me love London more. I felt at home, and supported, and loved. Even more so when I finished and turned on my phone to see that the Clubhouse ladies had been following our every step in a rather military operation! It’s more than you could ever ask for, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment